Introduction to Dotnetnuke and Installation Process
In today’s era, DotNetNuke has become one of the most known Open Source Web Content Management System. Basically, it is used to manage the website content without getting too much technical know-how. It is based on the Microsoft platform namely ASP.NET, SQL, C# etc. Contact US to get assistance for all your DotNetNuke Programming Needs.
1) Community Edition which is available as a free to download. The Community Edition includes access to the source code of framework and standard module installation. It supports basic workflow.
2) Dotnetnuke Professional Edition
Dotnetnuke provides functionality to create your custom module, Theme installation to change the look and feel of the website. It is generally used for multistage (linear, not parallel) workflow.It supports Advanced Content Approval capability that means that custom workflows can be developed with n number of states and reviewers. Skins also a feature provided by dotnetnuke to make separation between design and content.
Dotnetnuke installation process:
1) Download install package from dotnetnuke site. (in zip file.)
2) Create a folder and extract downloaded zip file into the folder.
3) Open iis (in run type inetmgr)
- Right click on site -> add new website -> sitename (dnndev.me)(note: by default application pool will be DefaultAppPool)
- Set physical path which point to the folder created in step-2
- Give host name. (http://dnndev.com/).
4) Go to the location where your folder is located for dotnetnuke
- Right click on it -> select property -> in security tab, click edit button -> in popup click on add button and it will open another popup in that change the location field to your pc name (i.e. PC-154).
- In object name field type: iis AppPool\dnndev.me (pool name that you have given in iis at the time of site creation). -> click ok.
- In permission popup give full rights to new created user. -> click ok.
5) Create database with the dbowner rights.
6) In browser browse with http://dnndev.com/
7) In installation wizard provide details. In installation wizard -> database information section give server name ,database name, select security option, check database owner checkbox -> continue.
8) After some process you will be redirected to demo project site of dotnetnuke.
To create custom module in dotnetnuke we need to install template provided by the dotnetnuke In order to use this template first we need to install the MSBuild Community Task project which is available at https://github.com/loresoft/msbuildtasks
Once the downloading is done, you will see the file with .msi extension. Execute that file to install the MsBuild Community task files.
Download the Dotnetnuke templates from http://christoctemplate.codeplex.com., on that page click on the releases link and download the file, it comes as zip file.
- Customize the template.
When you create a project using this template namespace,website name, Email all these are going to spread throughout the project. So It’s better to change this and give any relevant name to it yourself. Here are the steps to change this information.
1) Extract the zip file you have downloaded above.
2) Open the file which has extension “.vstemplate” in any editor like notepad. in that file you will see the commented lines. there you can change your company name, email, url (www.dnndev.me) and namespace. Save the file after doing changes.
3) Repackage the zip file. (select all files in folder, right click on vstemplate file and choose send to compress(zipped) folder. Now you have new zip file with you.
- Installing template:
Close all instances of visual studio if any. Copy the new ZIP file and paste it at the location : My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\Project Templates\Visual c#\web. If web folder is not there than create it.
Now you are ready to create module using dotnetnuke visual studio template.